- Click the button as shown below to start installation
- Skip Imort
- This is the main interface
- You may want to turn OFF all new tab bookmarks as shown below
- Set Home Page
- Set search engine
- You may untick “Show Avatar”
- Set “Download location”
- Tick “Use hardware acceleration when available“
Qihoo 360 Browser
- Secure Surfing & Download – Filter anti-phishing and malicious URL while browsing and scan downloaded file for malware.
- Ad Filter – Hide unwanted advertisements to emphasize web contents.
- Tab Search – Switch between numerous active tabs or open new desired tabs by entering keywords in address bar. Additionally, preface your keyword with @ to search among open tabs only.
- Dual Engine – Powered by Webkit and IE web engines, 360 Browser optimizes the best webpage experience for you.
It uses chrome extensions.
Ad filter works good. Still needs improvement.
Biggest advantage using it is its malicious & phishing URL detection. It works really very good
Still needs some tweaking and performance improvement. How bookmarks are arranged and manged needs improvement. How tabs are handled when a large number of webpages are opened needs improvement.
I didn’t like the use of IE trident engine. It does not work well. So using only Webkit engine is recommended.
- Installatin is easy
- installation in progress
- 360 browser main interface
- 360 browser menus
- Ad blocker settings
- ad blocker has two types. one blocks popup ads and another blocks ads in a webpage.
- File download settings
- 360 browser uses chrome extensions
- 360 browser claims to provide these protections when you visit a website
- Ad blocks successfully blocks ads
- tab menus
- Task manager shows how much RAM is being used by the 360 browser
- Detailed memory usage
- 360 browser uses its own download manager
- Download manager window
- After download it scan the file to check if its malicious. it says that the downloaded file is malware but does not deletes it.
Settings to use IDM with 360 browser
- Start IDM configuration.
- in General tab click “Add browser“
- Search and select 360browser.exe . click “Open“
- The location of 360 browser is like this for Vista/7/8 users “C:\Users\viktik\AppData\Local\360Browser\Browser\Application”
- Now IDM will capture download from 360 browser
360 Total Security is a security product by Qihoo company based in China.
- Uses BitDefender and Avira antivirus engines.
- Uses 360 Cloud based engine and QVM-II AI engine which requires your computer to be connected to the internet to work.
- Download file scan. The files you download from the internet will be scanned for malware. it works very well.
- Protect your computer away from malware/phishing / backdoor and the new type of threats via fastest and more intelligent cloud technology.
- Malware detection rate is very high.
- Malicious & phishing website detection rate is very good.
- Cloud-based proactive security. So it is better that you keep the computer connected to the internet.
- Light on system resources.
- There is no firewall in this product. So you will be using windows inbuilt firewall.
- Online shopping protection
- Speedup feature can be used to speed up the system performance.
- the cleanup feature can be used to remove junk files in the system. It works very good and supports many applications.
- Sandbox feature can be used to run unknown applications in it. so that it cannot do harmful changes to the system
- PatchUp feature is very good. It detects and patches the system vulnerabilities.
- Proactive protection is very good. But it requires the user to take proper decision. So it is user dependent.
DOWNLOAD 360 Total Security
- Installation is fast and easy.
- Tick “Enable Bitdefender Antivirus Engine to enhance protection“
- This is the main interface
- Notification area menu
360 Total Security RECOMMENDED SETTINGS
- Untick ” Show startup time after system startup“
- Untick “Notify me when entering shopping site“
- Tick “When inserted, prompt only when threat is detected“
- Tick “Disable Windows Autoplay functionality“
- You can change “Protection modes” by clicking on Protection icon as shown below
- Click “Configure” to change “Protection modes“
- For better security select “Security” as shown below.
- Click “Apply“
- Protection Mode set to “Security“
To disable to 360 Total Security, right-click on the icon and slide the slider as shown below.
- Click “OK” to disable the Active protection
- To Enable the Active Protection, slide the slider as shown below
360 TOTAL SECURITY LOG
- “Virus scan” log contains the log file of various scans that has been done
- “Web Threat” log contains logs of threats detected by web browser protection
- “Downloaded File” log contains the log of scan done on files downloaded from internet by the web browser.
- “File Protection” log contains the log of malware detected in hard disk or other storage media
- “Behavior Blocking” log contains the log of actions allowed/blocked
- Auto-allowed means Qihoo allowed the actions of applications by itself
- “Allowed” means the user has allowed a particular action of an application
- “Blocked” means the user has blocked a particular action of an application
- “Online shopping” log contains the log of threats detected during online shopping
- Various types of manual scans
Quick scan is the fastest scan you can do to check if there is active malware in the system. If you do find a malware in quick scan then it’s better that you do a full scan of the computer.
- Quick scan in progress
- If malware is found by the scan then click “Resolve” to remove the malware
Custom scan lets you choose folders and drives which you want Qihoo to scan
- Sometimes Qihoo finds unknown files during a scan. It gives the option to upload those unknown files to their server so that they can scan it and tell whether it is malicious or safe.
- Click on “Upload“.
- To see the File Analysis status at any time you need to click “File Analysis” button as shown below
- “Safe” means that file is safe to use.
- “Unknown risk ” means Qihoo has not completed the analysis of the file
- When you see analysis results as “No risk found” or “Safe“, it means all these files are safe to use.
- Now you should click on “Clear history”
Speedup module suggests settings that can speed up the system performance.
- Use “speedup” only one time as instructed below
- Untick everything except “Network performance optimization” as shown below
- Click “Optimize“
- Cleanup – System cleaner to delete junk files in the system and disable the unnecessary plugin.
- Click “Scan” to scan the system to find junk files
- Click “Clean up” to remove the junk files
- Toolbox contains various additional tools
- You can run an application or file in the sandbox so that it cannot harm the files stored in the computer.
- To run an application file in sandbox click “Run a specific program” and select the application.
- The user can also open a file in the sandbox by right-clicking on it and select “Run in 360 Sandbox” as shown below.
- Qihoo sandbox may not be able to run some type of files in the sandbox. In that case, you will get alerts as shown below.
- “File List” shows the list of media and document files that are running in the Sandbox
- “Running List” show the list of applications running in the Sandbox.
- If you want any application to run in Sandbox when it is executed then you can add those applications here.
- To do so click “Add Auto-sandbox program” and select the executable application
- Firefox web browser added to the list
- Sandboxing of files occupies storage space in hard disk.
- To free up the occupied space click “Clean Up” as shown below
- Click “close all programs” if asked
- You may tick “Disallow network access for sandboxed programs” if you are running a suspicious application in the sandbox.
VULNERABILITY PATCH UP
- Patch Up – Used to patch windows OS
- Select all the updates you want to install by ticking it.
- Click “Patch” to download the update and patch the system files.
- Patch-Up in progress
- All vulnerabilities patched
- See which patch has been applied
- See which patch has failed/ignored
- Patch up settings
SYSTEM BACKUP CLEANER
- It finds and deletes the Microsoft windows update backup files. If your system seems stable after windows update then you can do this scan to remove backup files.
- Click “Scan” to find system backup files
- Click “Clean Up” to remove the remove system backup files
- Click “yes“
- Click “Back“
- Quarantine file list can be opened by clicking on”Quarantine” as shown below
- This is where the detected malware’s are kept.
- To remove all the malware from Quarantine, click “Select all” and “Delete“
- Sometimes a good application may be detected as malware and will get quarantined, which is called false positive.
- To restore the false detected files go to quarantine list. Tick the file that has been quarantined as malware
- Click “Restore“
- When asked for confirmation, tick “Add files to trust List” and click “OK“
- Now that files will be restored to its original directory and added to trust list so that it does not get detected as malware again.
Extension for chrome based web browser
Qihoo supports internet explorer, Google chrome, Mozilla Firefox web browser.
Other Chrome-based web browsers can install Qihoo web protection from the link below
- When you start Chrome web browser, click as shown below to add “360 Internet protection” extension
- When malware is detected by real-time protection of Qihoo, a window opens as shown below
- The detected malware gets Quarantined.
- Click “Confirm” to close the window.
- If a good application gets quarantined then the user may click “Restore original file” to restore the good file.
- If a lot of malware is found the Qihoo asks to do the Scan of the system.
- Click “Scan Now“
- If you do a manual scan and malware is found the computer, then Click “Resolve” as shown below
- If a malware gets detected while it is executing an application, then an alert of this will be shown. This dark red color indicates the severity of malware. The user needs to click “Remove” to remove the malware.
- If the downloaded file is detected as “High Risk” then this alert is shown.
- Select “clean” and click “OK” to remove the malware
- If the downloaded file is detected as”Unknown” then this alert is shown
- Select “clean” and click “OK” to delete the Unknown file
- If malware is detected in download file then this alert is shown.
INSTALLING SAFE APPLICATIONS
- Sometimes when installing good applications user gets this alerts. If you know that this is good application then you must click “Allow All” so that good application gets installed in a correct manner.
The virus, Trojans, and worms can infect your computer. They can cause the slowdown of the computer. They modify the registry settings. They can delete your important files. They can steal your personal information. They can steal you bank account information and password. All of these are can cause serious trouble in your life.
If you already have an antivirus installed in your computer then first uninstall that old antivirus before installing new antivirus . Restart your computer so that all the component of old antivirus gets uninstalled.
Install the latest version of antivirus. After the installation, it is recommended that you restart the computer. Also, keep your antivirus updated.
Also, scan your computer once every week. You can schedule the scanning in the antivirus.
Keep in mind that installing antivirus in a computer which is free from the virus is not the same as installing the antivirus on an infected computer. In an infected computer it may very hard or even impossible to install antivirus because the active virus, malware will not let the antivirus install on the computer. So it is a good habit that you install antivirus in a computer as early as possible after the fresh installation of Windows operating system.
- Tencent PC Manager
- Qihoo 360 Total Security
- Bitdefender Antivirus Free
- Avast Free Antivirus
- AVG Free Antivirus
1. Tencent PC Manager
Tencent PC manager is a free antivirus which uses Tencent cloud, Tencent Antivirus engine, Bitdefender antivirus engine and Tencent system repair engine
Malware detection rate is good. Improvements can be done.
Malicious URL detection is the best.
Proactive protection is good. It takes decision most of the time. Sometimes the user will need to take the decision.
It is light on system resources. RAM usage around 200 MB
Know more about Tencent PC manager
2. QIHOO 360 TOTAL SECURITY
- Qihoo uses Bitdefender and Avira antivirus engine which leads to a very high level of malware detection. In addition, it uses 360 cloud scan engine and cloud-based QVMII AI engine. If you are not connected to the internet while scanning files then you will get lower detection rate. In that case, you will be using offline Bitdefender or Avira engine to detect malware in offline mode.
- Fast malware detection & removal.
- Very Good in Block phishing websites & malicious URLs.
- Stop unauthorized keylogger and webcam access.
- Protection for the webcam is good. protection from keylogger is weak.
- Impact on system resources is low. RAM usage between 60 MB to 230 MB depending on which virus database you choose to use.
- Proactive Protection is good. But requires the user to take proper decision sometimes.
- Need some computer know-how to use it.
- Virus Scan : Integrating award-winning antivirus engines from 360 Cloud Engine,360 QVMII, Avira and BitDefender to provide you with the ultimate in Virus detection and protection capabilities.
- Speedup : Manage and optimize your system services, boot up items and plugins – Shorten your boot time and get going sooner!
- Cleanup frees your disk space by removing junk files and plugin which can improve system performance – With cleanup, you can decide which areas and files to clean.
- Protection offers 4 different user selectable modes – Performance/Balanced/Security and Custom. Each mode offers a different level of protection from malware, phishing attacks, and backdoors.
- WiFi Security Check will analyze your Routers settings to ensure a safe and secure internet experience.
- You can run risky programs in Sandbox, threats will be kept separate from your system and isolated in the Sandbox.
- Patch up offers the latest patches and security updates available for your operating system including Windows Operating system updates, using patch up allow you to keep your system up to date and running smoothly.
The proactive defense will generate a lot of messages while installing applications. You need to “allow” when you are installing good applications. But you need to block when you are not sure if the application is safe or unknown application is causing Qihoo to generate a message.
Know more about Qihoo 360 Total security
Download Qihoo 360 Total Security
3. BITDEFENDER ANTIVIRUS FREE
- Bitdefender provides a high level of security.
- Also, malware detection and removal capability is very good.
- Very easy to use. Good for novice users.
- Also, it is very light on system resources.Perhaps the lightest of all free antivirus.
- Its web protection effectively protects from malicious web links.
- Very accurate.
- It can take all the decision itself. So very good for novice users that cannot take the correct decision themselves.
- It updates and upgrades automatically. So install once and you don’t need to worry for years.
- Proactive protection is very good. So you are protected from new unknown malware.
- Only negative thing is that you cannot configure it. Manual scanning of a huge number of files may take a long duration of time.
- Real-time Shield The real time shield is designed to protect your entire system from infected files coming from the outside before they have a chance to spread inside your PC.
- Active Virus Control Proactive technology that quickly and accurately detects potential threats, even in cases of new viruses for which there is no default protection released yet.
- Intrusion Detection System Ensures that applications trying to access the Internet or the network are not masked malware. Intrusion Detection is automatically alerted when such apps behave in a suspect manner and blocks them when they go over the limit.
- B-Have Proactively detects unknown threats that other products miss, by analyzing how apps behave in a safe environment. If no malicious actions are detected, B-Have starts the program normally. Otherwise, it will automatically quarantine or delete it.
- HTTP Scanning Protects you from scams such as credit card phishing attempts, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition scans all the links you access from your browser and blocks them when they prove to be unsafe.
- Anti-rootkit Rootkits are a type of stealth software, often malicious, that can help hackers get control of your computer. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition uses special technology that detects and blocks such malicious software.
4. AVAST FREE ANTIVIRUS
- Avast has improved. Avast provides a high level of security .
- it is very easy to use.
- Its web protection is effective and blocks malicious URL.
- Its malware detection and removal capability is very good & fast.
- It is light on system resources.
- uses very less RAM.
- Provides a very high level of customization.
- Good in detecting new unknown malware.
- Browser Cleanup Get rid of annoying browser add-ons.
DOWNLOAD Avast Free Antivirus
5. AVG Free Antivirus
- AVG AntiVirus Free is fast and free antivirus for Windows OS.
- It is light on system resources.
- Updates are small in size. So users with slow internet can also use it without any problem.
- Easy to use.
- AVG malware detection rate is good.
- Its scanning speed is fast.
- Proactive protection is good. It will detect most of the new unknown malware on its execution
DOWNLOAD AVG ANTIVIRUS FREE
AVG AntiVirus 2016 User Guide : http://files-download.avg.com/doc/AVG_Free/avg_free_uma_en_ltst_20.pdf