G Data internet security 2014 is the internet security software for Windows OS. The new interface is very good and has fast response. Web protection alters how we access internet. G data scans every web traffic before it will let you access it. This can be problem for slow internet connection.
It has two antivirus engine so it may be heavy on computer resources. It has cloud based detection of new malware. Behavior monitoring protects against unknown viruses. Antivirus is very good.
It web protection requires fast internet connection to operate quickly. It protects from phishing and malware infected websites. BankGuard technology for secure banking and online shopping. But still needs improvement.
It firewall can automatically take the correct decision without user input. It will automatically allow outbound connection but will not allow any application to have inbound connection. So you may have to do it manually. Still firewall is very good.
It has parental control that blocks websites with certain terms or words in the webpage. This causes problem when certain good websites gets blocked. Its like paranoid mode parental control which blocks almost all undesirable website. parental control definitely needs improvement.
It has email check feature which checks email for malware in it. it also has spam protection which protects from unwanted spams.
It logs all the activities of its features. It is very customizable.
DOWNLOAD G Data InternetSecurity 2014
- Microsoft Windows 8 (32 Bit/64 Bit), min. 1 GB RAM
- Microsoft Windows 7 (32 Bit/64 Bit), min. 1 GB RAM
- Microsoft Windows Vista (32 Bit/64 Bit), min. 1 GB RAM
- Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 and above, 32 Bit), min. 512 MB RAM
- Installation is easy. At the beginning Gdata will ask to select the language.
- There are two types of installation from which you can choose. First is “Standard installation” which will install all the feature in default folder. Second is “user-defined installation” in which you can customize the installation.
- You can uncheck those components here which you don’t want to install.
- Installation progress.
- If you have the valid license key then you may choose to “activate full version“. If you want to use Gdata as a trial then choose “Activate trial version“. In both case you need to register online.
- Installation completed.
MAIN INTERFACE & CONFIGURATION
- This is the main interface of G Data Internet Security 2014.
- The “Virus protection” tab provides various types of virus scans.
- Quarantine provides list of all quarantine malware. It also provides option for “Disinfect“, “move back” or “delete” the quarantined malware.
- The “Firewall’ tab provides a glance of firewall setting.
- Under firewall in “networks” tab all the network connections are shown. Each network is assigned a rule set.
- In the “Rule set” tab you can see various rule sets. Each of these rule set can be configured by double clicking it.
- Double clicking a rule set opens this window. Here you can do more setting for the given rule set.
- Here you can find application control feature. You can allow/deny file and printer sharing.
- Make sure you check Advanced rule set editor. It slows all the application that are allow to connect to internet. You
- In the “Parental controls” tab you can enable/disable parental control feature.
- To enable parental control select “parental control for this user” and click “Switch on“.
- Click on “forbidden content” to select which categories will be blocked by parental control. G data does not have many categories which is disappointing. Also website blocking is based on words found on webpage which is inaccurate.
- If you enable “permitted content” then the “forbidden content” will be disabled. In that case only the permitted web category will be allowed and access to all other websites will be blocked. Permitted categories are child like and not properly categories.
- In “monitor internet usage time” you can set at what time user is allowed to access internet.
- Internet usage period setting.
- Green period represent the time in which internet access will be allowed . Red period represents the time in which internet access will be denied.
- For more specific blocking click “Block periods”
- In parental control click on “Monitor computer usage time“. Here you can set for how long a user is allowed to work on computer.
- More specific blocking peroid.
- The final tab is “Autostart manager”.
- This is the settings window. In “security/performance” you can select from “standard computer” which uses two antivirus engine and scans files which are read as well as written, “Slow computer” which uses one antivirus engine or you can do your own user defined setting.
- You can password protect all the settings done by you in G data so that only you can change the settings. Don’t forget the password as it will be required to uninstall Gdata.
- In “real time protection” setting you can set how many antivirus engine will be used.
- You can select the action gdata will perform on infected file.
- You can select action performed on infected archive files.
- Advanced setting for real time protection.
- Similarly you can do setting for “manual virus check“.
- Select “Disinfect(if not possible: quarantine)“.
- Update settings.
- Web protection settings.
- Email infection settings.
- Gdata automatically scan your system when left idle. Also scheduled scanning can be done.
- Click on “new” to create a scheduled scanning.
- What will be scanned in scheduled scan.
- At what time and interval will the scheduled scan run.
- What will be actions performed on infected file during scheduled scan.
- Antispam settings.
- Firewall settings. By default firewall works on autopilot mode in which it takes all the decision itself.
- Preset security level by default is standard. you can increase it if want more security.
- If you want to do manual settings for firewall then you have to select “Custom security settings“
G Data Total Protection 2013 is a German company that includes anti-malware with a cloud component and twin AV engines, a firewall, anti-spam, parental control. Yes it has two virus detection engine for detecting malware. The use two AV engines puts heavy load on the system resources but provides very high level of security. So you need to have fast computer to use G data. But there are settings that can be done to lower the use of system resource. Antivirus lab test confirms its malware detection capability. It missed the least no. malware in malware detection test. It scored very high in overall protection test. Average home users can go for it. It is very silent and does not pops up messages unnecessarily. It suffers from false positive warning messages that can be negative point for g data and problematic because it causes blocking of good software. Its web protection will require high speed internet connection( 1 Mbps) or else you won’t be able to browse at good speed.
The AV scanner uses fingerprinting of the files it checks, so it doesn’t need to recheck them on subsequent scans, if their fingerprints are unchanged. To the left of these panels are two real-time graphs of processor use, so you can see at a glance how intensely the PC is working in general and on these internet-security tasks in particular.
- Instant protection when surfing: G Data Web Cloud blocks dangerous websites
- Instant protection when mailing: G Data Mail Cloud blocks virus outbreaks immediately
- Instant protection for Online- Banking: BankGuard protects against dangerous Banking-Trojans
- Instant protection through behaviour checking: recognizes suspicious behaviour of new viruses
- Optimal virus detection using a combination of two virus scanning engines
- Light on resources due to fingerprinting and idle scan running when you take a break
- Protection against hacking: silent firewall protects without annoying queries
- No spam – annoying spam is blocked automatically
- Parental control prevents access to undesirable web sites
- Including AntiVirus for Android™ smartphones.
- This is the main interface of G Data internet security suite 2013. You can see that all the components are enabled. You can very easily disable any of the components. If you feel that gdata is slowing you internet browsing speed then you can disable web protection component.
- Installation is easy and fast. You can customize the installation by choosing which component will be installed and which will not. First time update was lengthy.
- In the General-> Security/performance.
- Default setting is “standard computer” in which the two AV engines are used all the time. Also files are scanned when it is read or written. This slows the computer a little bit but provides high level of security.
- If you feel that computer has slowed down then you can change setting to “Slow computer”. This will use only one AV engine while scanning files. Also files will be checked only at execution time. This sure improves the speed of computer but decreases the level of security. Also memory requirement is increased.
- You can password protect gdata so that only you can change the setting of the gdata. Be careful while setting password because this method is very old fashioned and you may make some unrepairable mistake.
- Here you can set what will be the action of gdata antivirus realtime monitor when it detects malware.
- Here you can set what will be the action of gdata antivirus mnual scan when it detects malware.
- You can change the setting of web protection . However the default setting are good.
- Here you can change settings for the email protection.
- gdata automatically scans for virus when left idle for some time. You can disable this feature.
- You can also schedule antivirus scan to run at specific time.
- here you can change the spam filtering option.
- Here you can set your spam filtering method. You can filter files with certain extensions. You can filter files with specified words. You filter specified language. You can filter specified domain.
- Here you can change firewall setting.
- default is “Autopilot mode” . It is the best option as it does not creates any firewall popups. All decision are done by the Gdata.
- You can also manually do the settings of the firewall.