Tencent is a China based company
Tencent PC manager is a free antivirus which uses Tencent cloud protection engine, Tencent Antivirus engine, Bitdefender antivirus engine and Tencent system repair engine
It is very light on system resources.
The manual scan uses all the four engine regardless of settings done by user.
Good for novice computer users because tencent does not ask user to take complicated decisions.
Malware detection rate is very good. Improvements can be done on detection rate by improving the Tencent cloud engine. It is good on detecting adwares.
Malicious & phishing url detection is very good. Google chrome, firefox, and internet explorer is supported.
Proactive protection is good. It takes decision most of the time. Sometimes user will need to take decision.
- Tick “Auto report upon blocking suspected virus and trojans”
- If you don’t want to get disturbed unnecessarily by download shield then select “Security prompt on dangerous files only“
- If you want Tencent to detect malwares when it is being written on storage device then select “High Monitor all files operations” under File system protection
VARIOUS PROTECTION SHIELDS
After a manual scan you get this window where you can see Web shield, File system shield, External drive shield
- Various realtime shields which are active
- You can deactivate any shield by hovering the mouse on it and then clicking “Deactivate”
- Similarly you can activate a shield by clicking “Activate” next to it
- Quick scan in progress
- If threats are detected then click “Apply action” to remove the malware
- Realtime file shield will remove the detected malware when they get written in storage device.
Quarantine contains all the malwares that has been detected and deleted.
- To delete all of the quarantined malwares permanently tick “Select all” and click “Delete permanently“
- To delete malwares individually tick next to it and click “Delete permanently“
- If any good executable has been quarantined then tick next to it and click “Restore“. Also add that executable in Whitelist.
Whitelist contain files and folders which will not be scanned by Tencent antivirus
- To add a folder in Whitelist click “Add folder” and then select the folder that you want to whitelist.
- To add a file in Whitelist click “Add file” and then select the file that you want to whitelist.
- To remove files/folders from whitelist tick next to it and then click “Remove from whitelist“
When a new antivirus version is available then Tencent notifies the user to upgrade. There is no way to disable the upgrade. So user will have to do the upgrade when asked to do so.
- User should click “Upgrade Now” to do the upgrade
- Expect a download size of 100 MB to 200 MB during upgrade.
- Antivirus database is updated in every few hours.
DOWNLOADED FILES LIST
Tencent maintains a list of all downloaded files
PHISHING AND MALICIOUS URL PROTECTION
Tencent does support Firefox, google chrome and internet explorer.
When a malicious or phishing URL is detected then this warning is shown.
Tencent will alert the user of suspicious activities. User will have to take proper decision at that time. Most probably Deny the execution of suspicious activity.