Linux Mint 17 Qiana – CINNAMON desktop
Linux Mint 17 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2019. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.
New features at a glance:
- Update Manager
- Drivers Manager
- Login Screen
- Language Settings
- Software Sources
- Welcome Screen
- Cinnamon 2.2
- System Improvements
- Artwork Improvements
- Main Components
- LTS Strategy
Download the image file write it in DVD or use “Rufus” software to create a live USB Pendrive.
- Double Click “Install linux Mint”
- Partition layout
- Select the language
- Click Yes
- Select “Something else”
- Click “Continue”
- You need to have “ext4” and “swap” partition to install Linux.
- To delete an existing partition, select the partition and click “-” sign
- here swap partition /dev/sda11 will be deleted
- /dev/sda11 deleted and we get free space of size 5433MB
- I will also be deleting /dev/sda5 partition. To do so click “-‘ sign
- /dev/sda5 deleted. Now we have free space of size 35434 MB.
- Now out of this free space we need to create a linux partition and a swap partition. To do so click “+” sign.
- I will be creating “ext4” type partition with size 31000 MB. Select mount point “/”.
- Click “OK”
- /dev/sda3 partition created of type “ext4“.
- Now I need to create swap partition. To do so select “free space” and click “+“.
- Select use as “swap area“. Click “OK“.
- /dev/sda10 of type “swap‘ has been created.
- Select /dev/sda3 with type “ext4” and click “Install Now“
- Select location
- Select keyboard layout.
- Enter user name and password.
- click “continue“
- Wait for few minutes for installation to complete
- After installation is complete click “restart now“
- Eject the installation media (DVD or USB pendrive)
- After reboot you will this Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon desktop
- Click on Shield icon as shown below.
- Connect to internet
- Click “refresh”
- After refreshing is done, click “Install update”
- During update if asked as shown below click “Replace“
- Connect to wireless or wired network.
- Change background of desktop
- partition layout in hard disk.
- Linux mint is installed in partition 3 which is primary partition . Swap partition is in partition 10 which is extended partition.
- In display setting you can set monitor resolution.
- In panel settings you may change the size of panel icon & texts.
- panel size increased.
- You may change the panel layout. You need to restart for the change to happen.
- System monitor showing Cpu, RAM and network usage.
- System settings shows all the settings that can be done in linux mint cinnamon.