Linux Mint 17 Qiana – MATE desktop environment is most responsive I have seen in Linux.
Linux mint is best of new Linux users because it already have some useful softwares installed and it is easy to install and use.
The MATE Desktop Environment is the continuation of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems.
Linux Mint 17 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2019. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.
New features at a glance:
- Update Manager
- Drivers Manager
- Login Screen
- Language Settings
- Software Sources
- Welcome Screen
- MATE 1.8
- System Improvements
- Artwork Improvements
- Main Componen
Download the image file write it in DVD or use “Rufus” software to create a live USB Pendrive.
- Double Click “install linux Mint”
- Select “Something else”
- To install linux you need to have ext4 type partition.
- Click “change” to format and set mount point of /dev/sda5
- Select as shown below.
- click “OK”
- Click “install now”
- Select your location
- Select keyboard layout
- Wait few minutes for installation to complete.
- Restart the system
- After reboot you will see this welcome screen
- linux mint 17 mate desktop
- Hard disk layout.
- Linux mint 17 installed in partition 5
- Connect to internet
- Start update manager
- Click install update.
- When asked whether to keep or replace choose “Replace’
- You can LAN, WiFi settings in network connections
- System monitor shows cpu , memory and network usage
- Start control center
- here you can do all the setting for linux mint
- Software manager can be used to install or uninstall software packages.