360 Total Security is a security product by Qihoo company based in China.
- Uses bitdefender and avira antivirus engines.
- Uses 360 Cloud based engine and QVM-II AI engine which requires your computer to be connected to internet to work.
- Download file scan. The files you download from internet will be scanned for malware. it works very good.
- Protect your computer away from malware / phishing / backdoor and new type of threats via fastest and more intelligent cloud technology.
- Malware detection rate is very high.
- Malicious & phishing website detection rate is very good.
- Cloud based proactive security. So it is better that you keep computer connected to the internet.
- Light on system resources.
- There is no firewall in this product. So you will be using windows inbuilt firewall.
- Online shopping protection
- RAM usage 70 MB to 200MB
- Speedup feature can be used to speed up the system performance.
- cleanup feature can be used to remove junk files in the system. It works very good and supports many applications.
- Sandbox feature can be used to run unknown applications in it, so that it cannot do harmful changes to the system
- PatchUp feature is very good . It detects and patches the system vulnerabilities.
- Proactive protection is very good. But it requires user to take proper decision. So it is user dependent.
- 360 TOTAL SECURITY is a security product continuously in development. So changes can happen very soon in matter of months. So what you see here may differ from what you have installed in the system
DOWNLOAD 360 Total Security
- Installation is fast and easy.
- This is the main interface
- Notification area menu
- Click on “Protection On” to see Protection Mode settings.
- Click “Configure” to change the protection modes
- There are four protection modes. Performance, balanced, Security and Custom
- This mode stresses the system resources least.
- In this mode you will be dependent on 360 cloud engine and QVMII engine.
- You must be connected to internet all the time to detect the malware. Without internet connection the malware detection rate will be very low.
- Malwares will be detected only when you execute it. All active malware in memory will get detected.
- You can see below which protection modules are active in performance mode
- In balanced mode you will get all the protection feature of “Performance mode” .
- In addition malwares will be detected when they are saved in hard disk for first time.
- This is the highest level of protection that stresses the system resources most. That means more hard disk usage & RAM usage.
- In addition to 360 cloud engine and QVMII engine which requires live internet connection Qihoo will be using both bitdefender and avira engine. This will require downloading of bitdefender and avira engine.
- Malwares will be detected when they are saved in hard disk or if the folder in which there are malwares gets accessed.
- As it says in custom mode you can turn ON/OFF any security module according to your need.
- I use this mode in my computer.
- I would suggest to turn ON “Use Avira Scan engine” and turn OFF Bitdefender scan engine.
- You may turn ON “Scan File When opened” to increase the protection level.
- Click “configure“
- Click “Disable Protection” to disable all protection modules
- Click “OK” to continue
- Click “Enable” to Enable protection
- Another way to disable protection is using qihoo tray menu
- Slide the slider to disable protection as shown below
- Slide the slider to enable protection as shown below
360 TOTAL SECURITY LOG
- Click “Log” to open log window
- Another way to open log window
- Web threat log
- Log of scanning of downloaded files
- Log of malwares detected in the system
- Log of Behavior based protection
- Log of antivirus component and database updates
- You can do full scan of the computer here
- It will do Speedup scan, Quick Virus scan, Cleanup scan, Wifi Security Check
- Full check completed
- You may click “Details” to see detailed scan result
- Click “Repair” to repair the system
- You may un-tick some of them which you don’t want to be repaired
- Click “Finish” to complete the fixing
- Qihoo asks for share thoughts in facebook
- You may visit facebook or just ignore it by clicking “No Thanks“
- Various types of manual scans
Quick scan is the fastest scan you can do to check if there is active malware in the system. If you do find a malware in quick scan then its better that you do a full scan of the computer.
- Quick scan in progress
- Quick scan completed.
- Clicking “Finish” in necessary to complete any scan
Custom scan lets you choose folders and drives which you want qihoo to scan
- Sometimes Qihoo finds unknown files during a scan. It gives option to upload those unknown files to their server so that they can scan it and tell whether it is malicious or safe. I insist that you click on “Upload” . But you can skip this if you want to.
- Files has been uploaded . Analysis status is “Waiting analysis” . You need to wait for few minutes to few days for file analysis to complete.
- After few days you will get updated Analysis status
- After you have got the file analysis, you can click “Clear history” to remove all files in the “file analysis” list.
- To see the “File Analysis” at any time you need to click “File Analysis” button as shown below
- File analysis complete. No risk found.
- Now you should Clear history
Manually Turning ON/OFF antivirus engines
If you want to use Avira or bitdefender engine then you will have to turn it ON as shown below manually.
I suggest you turn ON Avira engine. To do so you must turn it ON as shown below.
- Hover mouse over the bitdefender or avira engine icon to manually turn it ON/OFF
- Then slide the slider to turn the antivirus engine ON
- Malwares found
- Click “Resolve” to remove the malware
- Malware removed
- Click “Completed“
- Stats of scan
- Click “Finish” to close it
- Optimization module : Manage and optimize boot-up applications / plug-ins and services
- Click “Optimize” to optimize the system settings
Manual optimization can be can cause instability. So proceed with care
- Click “manual” to do manual optimization
- Don’t do it if don’t understand it
- Green slider shows that the task is enabled. Beside the slider you can see the suggestion given.
- “Recommended Off” It is safe to disable it
- “leave as it is” means don’t do anything with it. If it is ON then leave it in ON state. If it is OFF leave it in OFF state.
- “Recommended On” means that you need to keep it turned ON
- “Optional Off” means that you either keep it ON of OFF as per your requirement. I suggest leave it as it is.
- Network optimization . You you want qihoo to optimize network settings then you can turn it ONHere Green colored slider shows which network feature should be optimized by Qihoo
- It shows the speedup optimization that has been done .
- You can revert the the optimization done by moving the slider
Computer boot-up time record
- Cleanup – System cleaner to delete junk files in the system and disable unnecessary plugin.
- Click “Scan” to scan the system to find junk files
- Click “Clean up” to remove the junk files
- System vulnerability patch up
- System backup Cleaner
- Firefox web browser running inside sandbox
- Lists of application running inside sandbox
- Here you can add applications that will be automatically sandboxed when executed
- Sandbox settings
VULNERABILITY PATCH UP
- Patch Up – Used to patch windows OS
- Select all the updates you want to install by ticking it.
- Click “Patch” to download the update and patch the system files.
- Patch-Up in progress
- All vulnerabilities patched
- See which patch has been applied
- See which patch has failed/ignored
- Patch up settings
System Backup Cleaner
- This is very helpful tool in getting more free hard disk space. It finds and deletes the Microsoft windows update backup files. If your system seems stable afetr windows update then you can do this scan to remove backup files.
- Click “Scan” to find system backup files
- Click “Clean Up” to remove the remove system backup files
360 TOTAL SECURITY SETTINGS
- You may un-tick “Show boot time after system startup“
- You may un-tick “Log in to facebook automatically“
- Malwares that has been Quarantined
- You may delete the quarantined files
- To permanently delete malwares click “select all” , then click “Delete“
- Sometimes a good application may be detected as malware and will get quarantined, which is called false positive.
- To restore the false detected files goto quarantine list. Tick the file that has been quarantined as malware
- Click “Restore“
- When asked for confirmation, tick “Add files to trust List” and click “OK“
- Now that files will be restored to its original directory and added to trust list so that it does not get detected as malware again.
Extension for chrome based web browser
Qihoo supports internet explorer, Google chrome, Mozilla Firefox web browser.
Other Chrome based web browsers can install Qihoo web protection from the link below
- Qihoo will show alerts when it finds a malware or detects a suspicious action by an application
- When malware is found on hard disk qihoo removes it automatically and shows this alert.
- User just need to click “Confirm” to close the alert.
- If a good application gets quarantined then user may click “Restore original file” to restore the good file.
- If a malware gets detected while it is executing an alert of this will be shown. This dark red color indicates the severity of malware. User need to click “Remove” to remove the malware.
- Some times when installing good applications user gets this alerts. If you know that this is good application then you must click “Allow All” so that good application gets installed in correct manner.