Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 has all the features required from an internet security suites. Its malware detection rate is one of the best.
- Anti-Malware Protection — for real-time defences against computer viruses and Internet threats
- Internet Protection — to secure your data and your money when you’re banking, shopping or surfing online
- Identity Protection — via Kaspersky’s Virtual Keyboard and Secure Keyboard technologies
- Anti-Phishing Protection — to prevent cybercriminals from collecting your personal information
- Advanced Parental Control — that helps keep children safe when they’re online
- Cloud-based protection
- Automatic Exploit Prevention
- Protection against screen lockers
During manual scan the CPU, hard disk and RAM usage was high. So if you want to install kaspersky make sure you have Intel i series processor like i3, i5, i7. Any older processor would be having trouble during scan. AMD APU series with quad core would be able to handle it. AMD FX series processor with quad core or better can handle it.
For RAM requirement i would say 2GB or more will be enough. Anything lower than 2GB RAM will have trouble in manaul scanning.
Manual scanning duration is very long. The longest I have seen with any antivirus.
Antivirus can automatically remove detected threats.
Proactive protection from unknown malware is good. But still needs improvement.
Firewall allows known trusted application to connect to internet. Only for few times firewall will ask the user to decide whether to allow the unknown application to connect to internet or not.
Web filtering in parental control is inaccurate. Even wikipedia gets blocked. So you can image how flawed it is. But you can easily unblock wrongly categorized websites. I am not impressed by the web filter.
Download Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 trial
- Kaspersky looks for incompatible softwares and then install the application.
- Successfully installed message
- After installation kaspersky asks for activation code. You may proceed with activate trial version.
- Activation completed.
- The new main interface for kaspersky internet security 2014
- All the features and tools of kaspersky
- The manual scan module provides Full scan, Quick scan, Custom scan and scanning of removable drives.
- Custom scan lets you add folder that will be scanned.
- Removable drives scan lets you scan USB pendrives and USB external hard disk/SSD.
- Update module
- Safe Money module for secure online banking and payment system. Kaspersky automatically detects banking or payment system websites and ask user to use kaspersky safe money.
- Whenever user browse a banking or payment website then Kaspersky open safe money. Two choices are provided.
- First option is open a protected browser which open a new protected window. In that browser extension/addon are not allowed. So if user is using password management software to store password then you won’t be able to use it in protected browser.
- Second option is to open in same window. This may be less secure but is more convenient to use.
- Parental control module. It ask for a password which will be required to change the settings. You may choose not to assisgn any password by clicking skip.
- All the computer users will be shown here. Turn ON the parental control module. Then click on user name. In this case vikash.
- Network monitor module.
- network activity showing the outbound and inbound traffic of each application.
- Open ports show the open TCP/UDP ports of each application.
- network traffic shows the data received and sent by each application.
- Blocked computer the IP address of the computer that has been blocked for some malicious activity by that computer.
- Tools module
- Application control module shows the applications that has been allowed/blocked from starting.
- Current activity show how many applications and processes are running and their memory usage, hard disk usage and there network activity.
- By clicking on “manage applications” user the details of Applications that are blocked/allowed to run
- Restrictions tab showing which applications are labeled as trusted or not trusted.
- By clicking on “Show all activity” user is shown all the running applications. This window shows which applications are digitally signed, trusted and other details of the application.
- Run at startup module
- Kaspersky setting window.
- protection center settings.
- File antivirus settings.
- Application control settings
- Kaspersky trust digitally signed applications. You may select what to do when unknown applications are found.
- Network attack blocker settings. The IP address of the attacking computer will be blocked for specified time.
- Mail antivirus settings.
- Web antivirus settings.
- Firewall settings.
- Click “networks” to see the network adapters
- Click “Configure application rules”. Here user can set which applications are allowed to connect to internet and which are not.
- Click “packet rules” to configure rules for various protocols.
- System watcher settings.
- Anti spam settings.
- Advanced anti spam settings.
- Anti-banner settings
- Safe money settings.
- Performance settings.
- Computer scan settings.
- Additional settings.
- Update setting allows user to set how often updates will be performed.
- Secure data input settings.
- Threats and exclusions settings.
- Tick on “detect other softwares …” for better security.
- Self defense settings
- Compatibility settings
- Network settings.
- Encrypted connections scan is the biggest problem user will have to handle. As mentioned some websites may be inaccessible. If the user uses firefox web browser then he may get into trouble. So it is recommended that you use chrome or internet explorer. Any other web browser is not supported by kaspersky, so you will be left unprotected if you use web browser other that internet explorer, chrome or firefox.
- Network ports that will be scanned.
- Encrypted connection scan setting. Click on “Install certificate”.
- Kaspersky was unable to install certificate in firefox. So user would have to do it manually.
- Click on “save certificate”. Save the kaspersky certificate in any folder.
- Open firefox web broswer. Click on Tools->Options.
- Click view certificate.
- Go to “authorities” tab.
- Click on “Import”. Go the the location at which the kaspersky certificate was stored previously and install it.
- Tick all the three options. Click OK.
- That’s it. But still Firefox may show error when accessing https websites.
- Notification settings
- Reports and quarantine settings.
- Feedback settings.
- Appearance settings.