Innovative new processor micro-architecture delivers substantial improvements in performance, graphics, security, and other features. The new die
An entirely new platform
Processor integration and manufacturing take huge leaps forward in the latest Intel microarchitecture (codename Haswell). As the first new microarchitecture on the 22nm manufacturing process, it marks the arrival of a new 4th gen Intel® Core™ platform, which comprises 4th gen Intel Core processors and the Intel® 8 Series chipset family (codename Lynx Point). This new platform delivers significant performance advancements including vastly improved graphics, battery life, and security for a zerocompromise computing experience.
New enhancements include:
- A new multichip package integrates the chipset on one die with the CPU and graphics on one die connected via a lowpower, on-package interface
- A new multichip package that embeds high-bandwidth memory on high-performance graphics quadcore processors to deliver better performance
- The new lower-power processor is optimized for Ultrabook™ devices to enable thinner, lighter clamshell, detachable, and convertible models
- New low-power processor states for orders of magnitude reduction on power consumption, yielding one of the biggest improvements in battery life (compared to previous generations) in Intel company history
- Support for Windows 8
New sensor interfaces and rich I/O
Tighter integration conserves power
and expands possibilities
- Lower power and faster access to I/O
- Fast access by cores and graphics to shared data in the last-level cache, which accelerates graphics processing
- A display engine that’s repartitioned into the CPU, resulting in lower latency and higher resolutions
- Embedded high-bandwidth memory integrated in quad-core Intel® Iris™ Pro graphics 5200 processors to boost graphics performance
- Low-power (LP) DDR3 controller on chip processor die
- Fully integrated voltage regulator for finer processor power control
- New configurable power levels for optimized design and performance
Amazing graphics and media processing
The new platform takes Intel® Built-In Visuals to a new level to provide superb visual performance to mainstream desktop and mobile PC users. Experience HD movies, stunning photos, and immersive 3D games with a suite of visual enhancements built into new Intel Core processors, no discrete graphics card required.
- A much more powerful graphics engine than previous Intel® microarchitectures delivers ultimate 3D, video processing, and visual enhancements.
- New hardware-based media accelerators and added graphics execution units deliver superior performance for gaming, HD video content, and 3D graphics.
- The latest Intel® Iris™ and HD Graphics provide support for DirectX 11.1, OpenGL 4.0, OpenCL 1.2.
Better, more responsive performance
Intelligent power management with Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 dynamically controls performance and power for cores and graphics boosting performance exactly where and when it is needed, and saving energy when it counts. 4th gen Intel Core processors support two to eight or more cores and up to sixteen or more threads with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel HT Technology).
Deeper, hardware-based security protection
With new processor microarchitecture, Intel helps deliver the most secure online experiences to date. Multiple safeguards are embedded deep into processor hardware, providing multiple defenses below the operating system, including:
- New Instructions for faster encryption and performance Vulnerability-resistant BIOS/firmware protection
- Malware detection
- Enhanced security services such as Intel Identity Protection Technology and Intel Anti-Theft Technology
- Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 – Dynamically increases the processor’s frequency, as needed, by taking advantage of thermal and power headroom when operating below specified limits.
- Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology – Delivers two processing threads per physical core. Highly threaded applications can get more work done in parallel, completing tasks sooner.
- Intel® Built-In Visuals
- Intel® Iris™Graphics —Delivers stunning 3D visuals and faster, more advanced video and photo editing and high-speed game performance on the go and in your home. *Available on select SKUs only.
- Intel® Quick Sync Video – Delivers fast conversion of video for portable media players, online sharing, and video editing and authoring.
- Intel® Clear Video HD – Visual quality and color fidelity enhancements for HD playback and immersive web browsing.
- Intel® InTRU™ 3D – Enjoy the ultimate 3D visual experiences and your favorite 3D Blu-ray* movies, all delivered in stereo 3D and full 1080p resolution on your PC.
- Intel® HD Graphics—Allows playing of HD videos with exceptional clarity, viewing and editing of even the smallest details of photos, and playing today’s modern games.
- Intel® Wireless Display—Lets you beam your apps and personal and online content such as movies, photos, and music to an HDTV with a simple wireless connection.
- Intel® Insider – Stream or download 1080p HD premium movies on your PC through participating distributor sites across the world. Purchase content and view it later across multiple platforms using Ultraviolet support.
- Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions—A set of new instructions to improve software performance for floating point-intensive applications such as audio processing, audio codecs, and image and video editing applications.
- Integrated Memory Controller – An integrated memory controller offers stunning memory read/write performance through efficient prefetching algorithms, lower latency, and higher memory bandwidth.
- Intel® Smart Cache – The shared cache is dynamically allocated to each processor core, based on workload. This significantly reduces latency, improving performance.
- Intel® Virtualization Technology – Allows one hardware platform to function as multiple “virtual” platforms. Offers improved manageability by limiting downtime and maintaining productivity by isolating computing activities into separate partitions.
- Intel® Advanced Encryption Standard New Instructions (Intel® AES–NI) – A faster, more secure AES engine for a variety of encryption apps, including whole disk encryption, file storage encryption, conditional access of HD content, internet security, and VoIP. Consumers benefit from protected internet and email content, plus faster, more responsive disk encryption.
- Intel® Power Optimizer and Processor C-States – Intel® Power Optimizer increases periods of silicon sleep state across the platform ingredients, including the CPU, chipset, and third-party system components, reducing power and increasing battery life for Ultra and SV platforms. New Processor C-states (C8-C10) on Ultra platforms provide dramatically low idle power.
- Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator (FIVR) – The voltage regulator is now integrated into 4th generation Intel® Core™processors, improving battery life and providing design-cost and space savings for OEMs. This integration also allows finer power control for efficiency.
- Configurable TDP – With Configurable TDP, the processor is now capable of modulating the maximum sustained power vs. performance. Configurable TDP thus provides design and performance flexibility to control system performance based on the cooling capability and usage scenarios. For example, a detachable Ultrabook™ may need more performance when used in a full clamshell mode (vs. tablet mode), or when balanced performance is needed in a quiet conference room setting.
- On-Package Cache Memory – Delivers higher bandwidth for graphics and memory-intensive applications for Intel’s highest-performance processor graphics products, resulting in big performance boosts on 4th gen Intel® Core™Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 products, with up to 128MB of capacity supported.
- CPU/Memory/Graphics Overclocking – On select products, CPU/graphics and memory can be run at frequencies above the rated frequency of the part, resulting in higher performance.
- Intel® Secure Key – (formerly Digital Random Number Generator [DRNG]) – Security hardware-based random number generator that can be used for generating high-quality keys for cryptographic (encryption and decryption) protocols. Provides quality entropy that is highly sought after in the cryptography world for added security.
- LINS – A set of new instructions that works in conjunction with AVX 2.0 instructions to accelerate CPU performance during certain operations that include high-definition content decoding, encryption during compression/decompression, and cryptographic security protocols.
- TSX-NI – TSX-NI is a set of new instructions focused on enterprise-level multi-threaded performance scaling, making parallel operations more efficient via improved control of software threads and locks. This offers performance benefits for enterprise-level big data analytics/business intelligence and visualization apps, which involve multi-user collaboration.
- Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel® AVX) 2.0 – AVX 2.0 is an extension of AVX 1.0 with new optimized instructions to deliver enhanced performance on floating point–intensive apps. AVX 2.0 adds 256bit integer instructions and new instructions for FMA (Fused Multiply Add). FMA delivers better performance on media and floating point computations, including face recognition; professional imaging; high-performance computing; consumer video and imaging; compression; and encryption.
- Collaborative Processor Performance Control (CPPC) – A new technology based on the ACPI 5.0 specification that dynamically modulates performance vs. active application power. It reduces active power to deliver better battery life and allows deeper lower power states to be reached (compared to prior generations of Intel Core processor products).
- Intel® BIOS Guard (Codename Platform Flash Armoring Technology [PFAT]) – Platform Flash Armoring Technology is an augmentation of existing chipset-based BIOS flash protection capabilities targeted to address the increasing malware threat to BIOS flash storage. It protects the BIOS flash from modification without platform manufacturer authorization, helps defend the platform against low-level DOS (denial of service) attacks, and restores BIOS to a known good state after an attack.
- Intel® Boot Guard – Hardware based boot integrity protection that prevents unauthorized software and malware takeover of boot blocks critical to a system’s function, thus providing added level of platform security based on hardware. Configurable boot types include:
- Measured Boot—Measures the initial boot block into the platform storage device such as trusted platform module (TPM) or Intel® Platform Trust Technology (PTT).
- Verified Boot—Cryptographically verifies the platform initial boot block using the boot policy key.
- Intel® OS Guard (Formerly Supervisor Mode Execution Protections [SMEP]) – An enhanced hardware-based security feature that protects the OS (operating system) kernel. OS Guard protects areas of memory marked as user mode pages and prevents attack code, which is in a user mode page or a code page, to take over the OS kernel. OS Guard is not application-specific and protects the kernel from any application.
- Intel® Platform Trust Technology – A trusted element of the platform execution that provides enhanced security by verifying the boot portion of the boot sequence.
- VMCS shadowing – VMCS shadowing allows a Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) running in a guest (nested virtualization) to access a shadow VMCS memory area using the normal VMRead/VMWrite instructions. This new technology reduces overhead for a more natural and responsive user experience. It also allows users to take control of their personal and professional data and apps while being protected by game-changing security.
- Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT) – Using built-in platform capabilities and popular third-party management and security applications, Intel AMT allows IT to better discover, heal, and protect networked computing assets.
- Intel® Small Business Advantage (Intel® SBA) – Helps small businesses enhance the security and productivity of their small business with a range of out of the box features, including software monitor, data backup and restore, USB port blocker, health center, and wireless display.
- Intel® Rapid Storage Technology – With additional hard drives added, provides quicker access to digital photo, video, and data files with RAID 0, 5, and 10, and greater data protection against a hard disk drive failure with RAID 1, 5, and 10. Dynamic Storage Accelerator unleashes the maximum performance of Solid State Drives (SSD) when multitasking.
- Intel® Smart Response Technology – Spend less time waiting, with faster access to the files and applications you use the most.
- Intel® Smart Connect Technology – Stay current with automatic, no-wait updates to your email and social networks, even when your device is asleep. Combine with Intel® WiFi HotSpot Assistant to automatically connect to free and paid WiFihotspots and refresh content in more locations worldwide.
4th Gen Intel Core i3 Mobile Processors
- Intel® Core™ i3-4100M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i3-4000M Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i3-4158U Processor (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i3-4100U Processor (3M Cache, 1.80 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i3-4010U Processor (3M Cache, 1.70 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i3-4005U Processor (3M Cache, 1.70 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i3-4020Y Processor (3M Cache, 1.50 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i3-4012Y Processor (3M Cache, 1.50 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i3-4010Y Processor (3M Cache, 1.30 GHz)
Detailed i3 specifications
4th Gen Intel Core i5 Mobile Processors
- Intel® Core™ i5-4350U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4300U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4288U Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4258U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4250U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4302Y Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.30 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4300Y Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.30 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4210Y Processor (3M Cache, up to 1.90 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4202Y Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.00 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4200Y Processor (3M Cache, up to 1.90 GHz)
Detailed specification & cost
4th Gen Intel Core i7 Mobile Processors
- Intel® Core™ i7-4960HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4950HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4850HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4750HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4702MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4600M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4650U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4600U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4558U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4550U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz)
- Intel® Core™ i7-4610Y Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz)
Detailed specification & cost