Avast Free Antivirus 8 is one of the best free antivirus that is available to Microsoft windows users. Avast uses very less RAM and is fast in response. It has a lot of features which most other free antivirus don’t have. Avast is very highly customizable. Avast provides cloud based virus detection if your computer is connected to internet. Very low impact on system performance.
Apart from antivirus and anti-spyware there are other features. P2P shield and Instant messenger shield supports many softwares. This I have not seen with other antiviruses and is very appreciable.
Additionally avast provides mail shield which checks mail for malware and other threats. It also has network shield generally not found other free antivirus. It also has script shield which protects your computer from running dangerous scripts.
Note : You need to have live working internet connection in order to activate Avast for 1 year.
- Antivirus and anti-spyware engine -State of the art scanning engine provides reliable protection against viruses, spyware and other forms of malicious software.
- Real time anti-rootkit protection -Unique “on access” technology checks all kernel-mode drivers that the operating system is loading for signs of rootkit behavior. This enables even unknown rootkits to be detected and stopped before they can do any damage.
- Avast! Community IQ – Most samples we process come from sensors deployed throughout the avast! community in the Behavior shield and anti-rootkit modules. This is a unique source of data made possible only thanks to our huge user base. Most of the collected samples are analysed by a number of automated processes and only a small fraction of the samples need to be processed manually by our virus analysts.
- Code emulator – When a suspicious executable is encountered (during both on-demand and on-access scanning), avast! is able to emulate the programs code in an isolated environment. The code emulator is used for two purposes. First, it is used for generic unpacking. Secondly, it is used in the heuristics engine. Technically, this is done using dynamic translation, a method much faster than traditional emulation techniques.
- Heuristics engine – avast! features a new heuristics engine designed to proactively detect malware undetectable with normal definitions. The heuristics engine is able to cover both binary (executable) and script malware.
- Potentially unwanted programs detection – avast! detects potentially unwanted programs, such as remote admin tools and commercial key loggers. Custom rules can be set for dealing with these types of programs.
- Boot-time scanner – Allows you to scan your computer for infections before the operating system has started and before a virus can be activated (32-bit operating systems only).
- Command-line scanner – Enables you to run a scan directly from the command line.
- Wake-up for scan – Microsoft Windows is woken from sleep or hibernation mode, performs a scheduled scan, then returns back to sleep mode.
- Scheduled scanning – Allows users to define the scan time and files to be scanned.
- avast! Intelligent Scanner – Can reduce the number of required file scans by up to 80% through a white list of proven safe applications. Files identified as safe are not rescanned unless they change.
- Behavior Shield -Monitors activity on your computer using a number of sensors (file system, registry and network based) and reports/blocks any suspicious behavior.
- Behavioral Honeypots – avast! sensors identify and monitor suspicious file activity on selected computers, automatically submitting files to the Virus Lab for additional analysis.
- File System Shield – Real-time scanning of opened/executed files.
- Mail Shield – Scans all incoming/outgoing e-mails for malware. For MS Outlook, a special plug-in is used. Other email clients are protected by a generic POP3/IMAP4/SMTP proxy. New in version 5, the proxy also supports scanning of SSL communication (gmail.com, sympatico.ca, .)
- Web Shield – Scans all visited web pages and checks all files, pages and java scripts downloaded from the internet. Thanks to the Intelligent Stream Scan feature, the Web shield doesn’t slow down your web browsing.
- P2P Shield – Checks files downloaded using P2P programs. – ABC, Ares, Azureus, BearShare, Bit Torrent, BitComet, BitLord, BitPump, CZDC++, Direct Connect, eDonkey, eMule, iDC++, iMesh, Kazaa, Kceasy, LimeWire, Morpheus, Opera’s DC++, Overnet, Qtrax, Shareaza, SoulSeek, StrongDC++, uTorrent, Vuze, WinMX, Winny2, Zultrax.
- IM Shield – Checks files downloaded while using instant messaging or chat programs. – AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), Gadu-Gadu, gaim/Pidgin, Google Talk, ICQ, IM2 Messenger, Infium, Miranda, mIRC, MSN/Windows Messenger, Odigo, PalTalk Messenger, Psi Jabber Client, QIP, QQ, SIM, Skype, Tlen, Trillian, WengoPhone, XFire, Yahoo! Messenger.
- Network Shield – Provides protection against network-based viruses. The module has two main components: a URL blocker, designed to block malicious URLs (as defined by the Virus Lab), and a lightweight intrusion-detection system.
- Firewall – It does not have firewall. You you would be left unprotected from hackers attack. So keep windows firewall ON all the time.
- Spam filter – It does not have spam protection. So email application won’t get spam filtered. Still web mail service like gmail and yahoomail will be unaffected by not having spam filter.
- Online shopping & banking protection – It does not have any feature to protect your confidential credit/debit card data or banking data from being stolen.
- Web filter and parental control –
DOWNLOAD Avast free antivirus
- Choose from express and custom install.
- Typical install
- Custom install let you choose which component to install and which not to install.
- Showing components which will be installed.
- Installation progresses.
- Registration is necessary. Just enter your email address and click register with email address.
- Installation finished and there’s moderate smile in your face.
- The new main interface of Avast free antivirus 8
- Security tab provides information about all avast module.
- Current status show how many files each module has scanned and how many infected file it has found.
- Statistics show graph of scanned files number and infected file found for each module.
- Scan now shows all the various scanning types.
- File system shield shows the realtime virus shield
File system shield settings
- It is recommended that you add extension exe and dll in the “Scan files with custom scan” . This will increase the level of security.
- By default avast only scans documents.
- Mail Shield module
Mail Shield settings
- Web shield module
Web Shield settings
- P2P Shield
P2P Shield settings
- Instant Messenger Shield
Instant Messenger Shield settings
- Network shield
- Script Shield
Script shield setting
- Behavior shield
- Behavior shield setting
- Software updater. It shows which of the installed application up to date or not up to date.
- Browser cleanup module.
- Here you can block some websites.
- Maintenance tab.
- Update shows update information of virus database.
- Registration information shows license info. How many days are left.
- Scan logs.
- Virus chest keep quarantined malwares.
- Remote assistance allows someone to connect to your computer and share desktop with him. Or you can connect to someone else computer with avast antivirus installed in it.
- More about avast.
- Market tab gives you option to buy more avast products. Though I can buy at lees in local market.
- Support tab provides link to support team.
- Go through program help manual.
- Basic settings.
- You can disable “animate the icon when scanning” if it is annoying seeing it spin all the time.
- Update settings.
- Choose how antivirus engine and virus database is updated.
- Choose how program updates will happen.
- More update settings.
- Input auto update interval.
- Cloud services settings.
- Popups settings.
- 20 seconds popup duration long enough. You may shorten the duration.
- Virus chest settings.
- Virus alert. It sends email whenever malware is detected.
- Virus alert email settings.
- Global exclusion.
- Files and urls to be excluded from avast scan.
- Password protect avast settings so that only you can change the settings.
- Install or uninstall browser integration .
- Webrep and antiphising.
- SiteCorrect helps in correcting the url that you type in web browser.
- Gaming mode
- Status bar
- Language setting. You may install other languages.
- Sounds settings.
- It plays sound whenever an event occurs. If you think these sounds annoys a lot then you may disable the sound alert.
- Avast community settings.
- Maintenance settings.
- Software updater settings.
- Troubleshooting setting.
- You can click on ? icon to get a detailed avast manual.
- Avast 8 manual.
MANUAL SCANNING FILES
- Threats detected during manual scan.
- Click on “SHOW RESULTS“
- This windows show all the threats detected.
- Choose what will be done with the detected threats. Click Apply.
- Threats removed succesfully.
- Avast firefox addon wants permission to install. Click “Allow this installation“.
- Avast internet explorer addon. Click enable.
- You can install browser integration from settings
- Click Install from chrome plugin install
- Click “Add” to install avast chrome plugin.
- That’s all that what I can show you about Avast antivirus.