eScan Internet Security Suite with cloud security provides very good level of security. It occupies 400 MB of RAM. It needs some settings to be done to use all its features. So newbie users will have difficulty using it. So not recommended for newbie users. The user interface is not good. escan is a feature rich security software.
- eScan Security Network (Cloud Technology – detects new and unknown threats)
eScan’s cloud-based Security Network collects information from millions of eScan participant user’s computers around the world when they are online, to safeguard your digital world from latest and unknown threats. It provides fast response to the latest virus threats without waiting for daily or traditional virus signature updates.
- Advanced Virus Control (Smart Proactive Protection)
With new Advance Virus Control technology and highly sophisticated Heuristics Algorithms, eScan effectively scans and detects unknown malware that are continuously released by malware writers. It also detects and warns users about applications that behave in a suspicious manner, thus providing protection from Zero-Day threats. eScan allows you to block files from being accessed either locally or via the network. This further prevents network-based viruses from infecting all the connected computers.
- Faster On-Demand Scanning
eScan’s enhanced On-Demand Scanner comprises of smart Whitelisting Technology that leads to faster scan of files, folders, memory, registry, services and all storage devices. Being light on the system resources, it ensures that the performance of your computer is not affected even while eScan is performing thorough system scans. It can run in conjunction with eScan Security Network cloud services, hence providing maximum protection from unknown threats.
- Real-time Protection
eScan protects you from advanced blended threats by integrating both its Advanced Virus Control technology and Real-time protection, thus allowing you to enjoy your digital life.
- File & Folder Protection
Users can secure specific files and folders from being created, modified, or even deleted by malware. It also protects specific files and folders against network-based attacks, thus mitigating threats such as Sality, Virut and other file infectors.
- Effective Auto Back Up and Restore
eScan features an Auto Back Up and Restore feature that automatically takes backup of all the system files that are frequently used and stores them in an encrypted form. The feature automatically restores the clean files when eScan finds an infection in any of the system files.
- Advanced Anti-Spam
eScan comprises of NILP*** Technology and sophisticated filters that work on the basis of specific keywords and phrases. With its artificial intelligence, NILP technology learns the behaviour pattern of the user and accordingly classifies e-mails as Ham (E-mails received by user) or Spam (E-mails quarantined for user).
- Advanced Parental Control
eScan’s Advanced Parental Control includes new and sophisticated protection for children and teenagers. It allows comprehensive control over your child’s online activity and provides more accurate filtering of web sites, with different profiles, that help in blocking inappropriate content. It also includes a Secure Virtual keyboard that secures your online transactions.
- Effective Endpoint Security with USB Vaccination
eScan effectively prevents data thefts and Virus infections via USB or Firewire-based portable storage device, such as Flash Drives/Pen Drives, SD Card, Imaging devices, Webcam and Portable Hard Disks, thus securing your network from evolving cyber security threats.
It also includes an advanced Application Control feature that allows you to block or permit applications on the local computer, thus safeguarding you from critical threats. eScan’s Application Control also includes Whitelist module that allows execution of only selected applications, while restricting the execution of rest.
With its USB Vaccination feature, eScan plays role of a ‘vaccine’ that provided for removable USB devices, which prevent USB devices from becoming a source of infection.
- Two Way Firewall (Improved)
It filters incoming and outgoing network activities on the computer and protects it from all types of network-based attacks. It also includes a set of predefined access control rules that the user can customize to filter network traffic.
- Secure Delete
eScan’s Secure Delete, now allows the user to permanently delete files and folders without the fear of having them retrieved through the use of third-party applications, thus preventing misuse of personal information.
- Safe Mode Password Protection
eScan’s Safe Mode Password Protection prevents unauthorized access into Windows Safe Mode without a valid eScan password.
- eScan Rescue Mode
It is an advanced feature which allows user to boot into a secure environment during system startup without using any optical media. It uses Windows®-based environment that not only helps you to scan and clean the system but also allows you to fix registry changes made by viruses and Rootkits.
- Uninterrupted Gaming Experience
eScan’s advanced Game Detection feature automatically detects the start of a game, movies and presentations when run in full screen and prevents all notifications and alerts from being displayed, thus ensuring you an uninterrupted gaming experience.
Operating System: Windows® 8 Family, Windows® 7 Family, Windows Vista® Family, Windows® XP Family Service Pack 2 or higher, Windows® 2000 Professional Service pack 4 Rollup patch 1
CPU Windows 8 requires 1 Ghz, Windows 7 requires 1 Ghz, Windows Vista requires 1 Ghz, Windows XP requires 450 MHZ, (1 GHz recommended)
Memory: Windows 8 requires 1 GB, Windows 7 requires 1 GB, Windows Vista requires 1 GB, Windows XP requires 512 MB (1GB recommended)
Web Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or 8.0
Display: High-color display with a resolution of 640×480 pixels or higher recommended)
Disk Space: 750 MB
Version: 14.x – Multilingual
INSTALLATION AND SOME SETTINGS
- Just after installation escan will scan your computer for malware detection.
- Installation is easy and fast.
- This is the main interface and it will occupy whole screen of the computer. I didn’t like it.
- You can click on “?” at top-right corner to get detailed guide for escan.
- The update process and update window.
- This is antivirus feature. It has proactive protection enabled. You may see statistics and report of files scanned and malware detection.
- In AntiVirus settings you may customize how antivirus feature works. You may set actions to be performed when a virus is detected.
- You may exclude some files and folders from scanning.
- This is unique to eScan. Folder protection feature protects files in specified folder from being modified or deleted.
- This feature checks email for virus.
- Anti Spam feature
- Web protection feature is also very good.
- Four profiles are already built in. You are allowed to enable/disable web protection for each user of the computer separately. As you can see below “web protection status” is disabled by default for each user.
- Select the user (in my case Vikash) and click on “Enable” at top-left to enable web protection.
- To edit a profile select it in “select profile” then click on “Edit profile”. You can see below that there are many web filtering categories.
- For Adult profile you may want to
- Allow chat category.
- Block advertisement & pop ups.
- You must go through all the categories and enable/disable as required.
- The two way firewall is also very good.
- here you can see which application are allowed/denied to access internet. You can do custom setting yourself.
- Endpoint protection is like application control. Use this carefully.
- Application control is implemented in two ways.
- First is what application you want to put in “black list”. User will not be able to open applications mentioned in black list and all other applications can be started. To do so click on “enable application Control”.
- Second is using whit list. In this case only those application that are in white list will be allows to start and all other applications will be blocked from starting. To do so click “Enable Whitelisting” which will automatically disable “blacklisting” feature.
- If any application get blocked from starting then you can easily unblock it by adding it to “whitelist” from report for endpoint security.
- Privacy control feature is very basic and cannot be relied on for complete privacy control.
- Cloud protection feature provides extra protection from new viruses if you are connected to internet.
- To start a manual scan click on “Scan ” at bottom-left corner. You can see below various types of scan that can be done.