7-Zip is open source software. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license.The program can be used from a command line interface, graphical user interface, or with Microsoft Windows shell integration. 7-Zip began in 1999 and is actively developed by Igor Pavlov.You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial organization. You don’t need to register or pay for 7-Zip.
It is very light on system and fast in operation.
The main features of 7-Zip
- High compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression
- Supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
- Unpacking only: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR and Z.
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Multiple-core CPU threading settings can be configured.
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 79 languages
7-Zip works in Windows 7 / Vista / XP / 2008 / 2003 / 2000 / NT / ME / 98. There is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix.
DOWNLOAD 7-ZIP 64 bit
DOWNLOAD 7-ZIP 32 bit
7-zip has not been specifically made for windows 8. But it will work on windows 8.
After installing 7-zip here are some settings that needs to be done –
Open 7-zip File manager. Select ‘Options’ from ‘Tools’ menu.In the System tab select different types of archives to associate with 7-zip as shown below. You can choose more extensions than what is shown below.
In the ‘7-zip’ tab you can tick on ‘Integrate 7-zip to shell context menu’ and ‘cascaded context menu’. Also you can tick on different types of context menu items which you want to have as shown below.
Thank you for your precious time. I hope this helps to make your life better.