Media Player Classic Home Cinema is a free, open source media player, which supports many of the known video file formats, and can play VCD, SVCD and DVDs. Media Player Classic Home Cinema is an extremely light-weight media player for Windows. It looks just like Windows Media Player v6.4, but has many additional features. You can use the player as a Media Player Classic Home Theater. It is very light on system and easy to install.
Some features of MPC-HC
- Option to remove Tearing.
- Support for EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer)
- Supports Subtitles.
- Playback and recording of television if a supported TV tuner is installed.
- Creation of minidump when MPC HC crashes.
- OSD (On Screen Display)
- Shuttle PN31 remote control support
- Support for Multi-Monitor configuration
- Pixel shader to convert BT601 – BT701
- YV12 Chroma Upsampling pixel shader
- Language Translations.
MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 playback. Media Player Classic is capable of VCD, SVCD and DVD playback, without the need to install any additional software or codecs.
It has built-in codecs for MPEG-2 video and codecs for LPCM, MP2, AC3 and DTS audio, and also contains an improved MPEG splitter that supports playback of VCDs and SVCDs using its VCD/SVCD/XCD Reader. A *.mp4 and MPEG-4 Timed Text support added. An AAC decoding filter makes MPC suitable for AAC playback in MP4.
MPC Home Cinema also has H.264 and VC-1 with DXVA support, DivX, Xvid, and Flash Video formats is available in MPC HC. MPC can also use the QuickTime and the RealPlayer architectures. Media Player Classic supports native playback of OGM and Matroska container formats.
Supported Video, Audio and Image file formats:
WAV, WMA, MP3, OGG, SND, AU, AIF, AIFC, AIFF, MIDI, MPEG, MPG, MP2, VOB, AC3, DTS, ASX, M3U, PLS, WAX, ASF, WM, WMA, WMV, AVI, CDA, JPEG, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, D2V, MP4, SWF, MOV, QT, FLV.
Media Player Classic – Home Cinema allows you to enhance, decode and accelerate a broad span of movie formats like x.264 with GPU assisted acceleration and image quality enhancing. The WMP Classic Home Cinema player does not require many system resources than the rest of the video media players to run smoothly. This is a low PC resources windows media player that runs on slower machines with older CPUs.
Modern graphics card offer the possibility to decode partially or completely a video stream using DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA), in order to reduce CPU usage dramatically. MPC-HC includes an embedded video decoder that uses this technology, to decode x.264, H.264 and VC-1 with hardly any CPU time required.
Media Player Classic – Home Cinema supports the following operating systems:
- Windows XP SP3 32bit/64bit
- Windows Vista 32bit/64bit
- Windows 7 32bit/64bit
- Windows 8 32/64 bit
- Windows 10 32/64 bit
32 and 64 bits are completely separate software. MPC-HC 64 will use only 64 bits codecs installed on your machine.If you have 64bit Windows Operating system installed then it is highly recommended to use 64 bit version of MPC-HC.
Media Player Classic Home Cinema (64-bit)
Media Player Classic Home Cinema (32-bit)
- Select On Top->While playing Video
SOME USEFUL SETTINGS
- Open options from View->Options
- Tick “limit windows proportions on resize“
- Tick “Remember last windows size”
- You may tick “Remember File position“. MPC HC will remember the time at which a media file stopped playing. So next time you play that media file it will start running at time where it stopped playing earlier.
- Formats lets user select which type of media files will be opened by MPC.
- To associate media files to MPC click “Run as administrator“
- Click on icons to associate audio, video or media files with MPC HC
- You may individually tick next to “File extensions” which you want to play with MPC HC
- Click “Apply“
- Click “Set as default program“
- Windows 8.1 user will see this windows
- Tick “Select All” and “Save“
- Windows 10 user must open Control panel
- Click on “Default Programs”
- Click on “Set your default programs”
- Select “media player classic home cinema“
- Click “Set this program as default”
- Click “OK“
- Un-tick “Auto-zoom:“
- In Playback the no. of times in “Play” tells how many times the files in playlist has to be played.
- Selecting “Repeat forever” will cause the files in playlist to be repeatedly played without stopping.
- Select “Resizer” as “Bilinear (PS 2.0)“
- If video playback is sluggish because of weak GPU then click on “Video decoder”
- Select “None” in “Hardware Decoder to use“
- Sometimes a media has has very low volume of audio. In that case tick “Normalize” which will cause increase in playback volume of the audio
- It is recommended that user set Saturation to “-25”. This will cause MPC HC to show more realistic color of played video files.
- Keys shows all the shortcuts that can be used in MPC HC to run certain associated command.
- You can manually change the shortcut key associated to a command
- Logo of MPC HC can be changed using an external image file.
- To do so select “External” and click “browse” to add a image file as MPC HC logo
- Web Interface can be used to control MPC remotely using web browser
- Here you can set the placement of subtitle in the MPC HC
- To do custom subtitle placement tick “Override placement” and set the horizontal and vertical position of the subtitle .
- Here you can do various settings on the font, alignment and theme of subtitle.
- Increasing Font Spacing causes the spacing between letters of subtitle shown in screen to increase.
- Font angle changes the angle of subtitle shown on screen.
- Scale x and scale y scales the size of subtitle shown on screen.
- Border style setting lets user set the border theme and width.
- Screen alignment & Margins let user set the alignment of subtitle in screen. Setting of margin can be done next to “left” , “Right”, “Top”, “Bottom” which will set the distance at which subtitle will be shown from the left, right, top, bottom edge respectively.
- Colors & Transparency settings lets user set the color of the subtitle, its outline and shadow. It also lets user set the transparency of he subtitle, its outline and shadow.
- Click just below “Font’ to select the font type, font style and font size of the subtitle shown on screen.
- Here you can select the the font type, font style and font size of the subtitle shown on screen.
CHECK HOW SMOOTH IS VIDEO PLAYBACK
- Press Ctrl+J to get this detail stats which shows a lot information about the video playback.
- Notice the graph. The smoother the red and blue line the better the playback is.
- Press Ctrl+J again to see the graph properly.
- Press Ctrl+J two times more to remove the stats from screen.
USING EXTERNAL FILTERS WITH MPC HC
- First Install external filter . Here i am using LAV filters.
Download LAV Filters from the link below and install it
- Click “Add Filters” as shown below.
- Select “LAV Audio Decoder” and click “OK“
- Select “LAV Audio decoder ” and set “prefer“
- Similarly add “LAV Splitter” , “LAV Splitter Source” and “LAV Video Decoder“
- Select each one and set “Prefer” as shown below.
- Click “Apply“
- Play a video file.
- Ckeck Play->Filters. It will show the filter & decoders that is being used by MPC HC to play the video file
- As you can see below that external LAV Video decoder and external LAV audio Decoder is being successfully used
USE MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF MPC HC PLAYER
- You can use MPC HC to play multiple media files at same time.
- To do so select “Open a new player for each media file played” under “Open options”
- Click “Apply“
- As you can see below that four instances of MPC HC is playing at same time.